Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

mulonga.net forum  |  IT Centers  |  Sinazongwe.Online  |  Topic: Sinazongwe: Chinese managers charged for shooting protesting miners « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sinazongwe: Chinese managers charged for shooting protesting miners  (Read 6701 times)
Peter Kuthan / AZFA
Global Moderator

« on: October 22 2010 »

19 October 2010

Zambian police have arrested two Chinese coal mine managers for attempted murder after they allegedly shot and injured 12 local workers. The miners staged a demonstration on Friday to protest against poor working conditions and wages at the Chinese-run Collum Coal mine, in the southern town of Sinazongwe. The Chinese managers allegedly opened fire at the protesters because they felt threatened. The Chinese government said on Tuesday that the mine managers had "mistakenly hurt several local workers" and would cooperate with police. China has reportedly invested more than nine billion US dollars in Africa, with over 400 million US dollars pumped exclusively into Zambia's mining industry. The Zambian government has been criticised for allegedly prioritising Chinese investment over workers' rights.

source: http://www.panos.org.uk/?lid=33409
Pages: [1] Print 
mulonga.net forum  |  IT Centers  |  Sinazongwe.Online  |  Topic: Sinazongwe: Chinese managers charged for shooting protesting miners « previous next »
Jump to: