Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

mulonga.net forum  |  IT Centers  |  Binga Highschool Alumni Forum  |  Topic: A young novel writer looking for advice « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A young novel writer looking for advice  (Read 3235 times)
Peter Kuthan / AZFA
Global Moderator

« on: November 18 2008 »

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.mulonga.net from:
William Cirignani <wac@mydreck.com>

My name is Bill Cirignani. I am writing a novel featuring a young Batonga girl. Although she is tricked into slavery in America, she is a strong young woman who will ultimately overcome. The novel is a thriller, but takes it subject seriously, and will, I hope, shed light on the continuing problem of human slavery in the world. I want to get this girl right, which means getting her culture and her expressions right. I was hoping you might introduce me to someone willing to advise me in this area. I am certain it will involve no more than a few exchanges, probably by email, but I would accommodate whatever would be easiest.  Thank you for your consideration.

Bill

Peter Kuthan / AZFA
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 21 2008 »

Dear Bill,

I would be happy if you could be more elaborate with the request. What
aspects of her culture are you interested in? When referring to
expressions would these be verbal or otherwise and under what
conditions?

With more information it will be possible to assist you.

Warm regards,
Sengamo
ZILUNDU

« Reply #2 on: November 24 2008 »

Bill,

Hope you will find this helpful. When one thinks about writing about a people, there are many things that he or she needs to take into consideration. As BaTonga, we have a culture and Tradition that has been hardly recorded and to that effect there are so many things that you will have to learn from our culture otherwise we will be up in arms against you protesting against who We are.

You can read about BaTonga history from the internet, history textbooks from Southern Africa and from interviews with the locals. And from my knowledge, the BaTonga people have not been involved in slave trade or slavery of the 19th century as we have read about it from West Africa. However, your concept of slavery in the world is welcome as long as it would not affect the dignity of the BaTonga girls.

Can you furnish readers of this website the following details with respect to your novel:

a). Why did you choose a Batonga girl? Why not an East or West African girl?

b). What type and level of education did your undergo or is currently pursuing and how does this novel contribute to yours professional growth.

c). What do you know about BaTonga people and what is the source of that information?

d). Who is your intended audience and what bearing will your novel have on the lives of the BaTonga people and the world at large?

e). Apart from having this novel talk about us, what else is to be done in terms of publicity?

f). Where do you come from and would you be able to travel to Binga (where the BaTonga stay) to see for your self some things about the BaTonga girls.

Wish you good luck, BaTonga aren't bad people after all.

Twalumba

Zilundu
Pages: [1] Print 
mulonga.net forum  |  IT Centers  |  Binga Highschool Alumni Forum  |  Topic: A young novel writer looking for advice « previous next »
Jump to: