Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

mulonga.net forum  |  IT Centers  |  Sinazongwe.Online  |  Topic: Sinazongwe ITC update « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sinazongwe ITC update  (Read 5348 times)
Peter Kuthan / AZFA
Global Moderator

« on: August 16 2007 »

Training at Sinazongwe ITC for the school pupils (grades 6 to 9) is currently in progress. As for this period, no community members were trained. A printer has now been set up at the ITC and this should enhance the services to the community and the school. A modem and an extra printer were handed over to the school by Tonga.Online end of July and the school now has to apply for a telephone line so that the centre and the community may enjoy the benefits of access to the internet and educational resources on the web. The second printer will be installed once the drivers are secured.

Tonga.Online carried out preventative maintenance on all computers at Sinazongwe Basic School in June and two female teachers mainly those in charge of the ITC were trained on how to service the computers. The servicing of computers was followed by IT skills training to teachers on how to use the computer. A total number of  12 teachers were trained.

ITC Management Committee:

A meeting to clarify some misunderstanding on the composition of the ITC Management Committee was convened by Tonga.Online during their visit in June. At that meeting, it was generally agreed that the Sinazongwe ITC-MC shall be made up ZAMTEL, ZESCO, Council, School Manager, IT Teacher, Women Representative, and three (3) community members drawn from different community groups. The composition meeting was with a mini workshop on the roles of the ITC-MC. This was tailored to empower the community members and foster accountability and responsibility.

update provided by Pottar Muzamba, Director Tonga.Online, Binga

Peter Kuthan / AZFA
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: October 03 2007 »

Radio Journalism Toolkit

by Franz Krüger

This toolkit offers detailed, practical advice for radio journalists including a particular focus on the needs of community radio journalists, who have to report on a shoestring. Practical exercises are supported by a CD-ROM with raw sound to work on, examples of great radio reports and other material.

http://www.comminit.com/africa/materials/ma2007/materials-3422.html
Contact angela@ste.co.za
Peter Kuthan / AZFA
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 04 2007 »

India funds ICT training in Zambia
by Michael Malakata
21 September 2007
Source: SciDev.Net
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/internet/43446

[LUSAKA] Zambia and India have signed an agreement that will see India fund Zambian training centres to train researchers and the public in information and communication technology (ICT) skills.

Peter Daka, the Zambian minister of science and technology, and River Wallang, the Indian high commissioner to Zambia signed the agreement in Lusaka last week (12 September).

Daka said that Zambia needed to embrace science and technology to develop economically.

River Wallang said the Zambian government will provide buildings with basic facilities such as toilets, and India will provide US$300 million of computers and servers, as well as US$100,000 toward operating the centres.

Daka said India's international status was due to science and technology literacy, and that establishing the training centres would similarly empower Zambian researchers, science students and young people with science and technology skills.

He added that many Zambians are reluctant to take ICT courses in higher education, but that these skills are important for creating wealth.

Besides researchers and science students, the centres will also provide free computer training to ordinary Zambians who could not otherwise afford it.

The Indian government will also send a team of science and technology experts to Zambia to install the equipment and to work with their Zambian counterparts for one year.

"What India wants is for the two countries to popularise science and technology in Zambia by having more people training in communication technology," said Wallang.

This is the second agreement the Indian government has signed, aimed at helping Zambia develop its science and technology skills.
In February 2003, the Indian and Zambian governments signed a long-term economic and technical cooperation agreement covering information technology, human resource development, pharmaceuticals and energy research.

Related SciDev.Net articles:
Zambia announces ICT training centre for scientists
Zambian ICT policy 'fails to address key issues'
Peter Kuthan / AZFA
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 12 2007 »

Dear Ingo,

My sincere and heartfelt greetings to the Austrian  team that was in Zambia for a great job. May God be with you always.
I was very happy to hear that you reached home safely.

We haven't yet got the licence because the guy who is in charge for Educational Broadcasting Section went abroad without delegating the issue to any Officer. There was a standstill till the 18th of October.
When he came back, he failed to convince his boss--- The Director - Open Learning and Distance Education and i just went to meet her on 18th October , although it was a bit difficult finally she agreed to help us. She even made a skeleton Project Proposal for the School and Radio Committee to complete and later i would  bring it to her office for onward submission to the Permanent Secretary Education who will in turn write to the Permanent Secretary for Information.

Moyo came to Lusaka on 22nd October to get this Proposal and we had agreed that they were going to work on it  quickly  such that by 30th October it was going to be ready for collection as i  had a trip to Sinazongwe...

The radio account is not yet opened as the Zambia National Commercial Bank couldn't allow the opening of the account because the Permanent Secretary --Information needs to write a  letter to the Bank informing the Bank that the Radio Station is a registered and licenced one , but since we haven't finished the process, this is not possible.

I will update you immediately everything is in place...

Greetings to everybody.

Miyanda.
Peter Kuthan / AZFA
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 08 2008 »

Sorry for replying late, I am currently not in Sinazongwe. Up hear we are fine.

The application for the line is not yet done by the school authority ,they are saying there is no money for that and they have not done the annual general meeting {AGM} yet.
although  in Sinazongwe the dial  up system  do not work  well , we failed to use the systems even  other  offices who are  connected find it difficult to use .The only best or suggestion I can give is to the Celtel Network with their gadgets.   

The training of computer lessons is on, the details is as follows as given by the ICT trainer. Three male and one female are training ,thirty grade eight have been introduced to computers ,grade  seven  and nine  have  continued  with  their  lessons.

People from the community have no interest.

On the radio station, we are waiting for the approval from the Ministry of Information, the application was handed in.

Concerning I have no information yet when I go back to Sinazongwe I will find out  from the palace. I will furnish the information as soon as possible.

Regards

Moyo
Pages: [1] Print 
mulonga.net forum  |  IT Centers  |  Sinazongwe.Online  |  Topic: Sinazongwe ITC update « previous next »
Jump to: