Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

mulonga.net forum  |  IT Centers  |  Sinazongwe.Online  |  Topic: ZAMBIAN PARLIAMENT DISCUSSING THE GWEMBE-TONGA DEVELOPMENT PROJECT « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ZAMBIAN PARLIAMENT DISCUSSING THE GWEMBE-TONGA DEVELOPMENT PROJECT  (Read 9699 times)
Peter Kuthan / AZFA
Global Moderator

« on: May 15 2007 »

National Assembly of Zambia: Debates- Thursday, 8th February, 2007     
Posted by Msumba T   
Tuesday, 13 February 2007

269. Mr Mooya (Moomba) (on behalf of Mr Sejani) (Mapatizya) asked the Minister of Energy and Water Development:

(a) when the Gwembe-Tonga Development Project would be completed;

(b) what major projects had so far been completed by the Project; and

(c) what would happen to the projects which have not been completed, such as the Bottom Road.

Mr Sichilima: Mr Speaker, the Gwembe-Tonga Development Project whose main objective was to mitigate some of the negative impacts resulting from the construction of the Kariba Dam came to an end on 30th September, 2006. Not all the planned activities on the project have been done due to limited budget.

The projects that were completed are as follows:

Construction of the Bottom Road

(i) 393 kilometre of road de-mined;

(ii) planning and design of the total 721 km of Bottom road completed; and

(iii) construction of seven culverts along the Munyumbwe/Chipepo road.

Development of Water Resources

(i) thirty boreholes were drilled;

(ii) three dams and one weir have been constructed; and

(iii) one water reticulation was rehabilitated and constructed at Lusitu.

Electrification

Sinazongwe District: Chiefs palaces, some schools and clinics, public institutional houses, irrigation schemes, Kaluli Development Foundation.

Gwembe District: Chiefs palaces, some schools and clinics, public institutional houses, Chipepo harbour, parishes and Munyumbwe Township.

Siavonga District: Mundulundulu Sandy Beach, Chief Simamba’s palace, Lusitu Irrigation Scheme and Lusitu Water Works.

Technical Assistance and Supplies

(i) 6,078 households were provided with high yielding crop varieties of maize, sorghum, pearl millet, cassava, beans and groundnuts;

(ii) forty-one farmer cooperatives were established and 150 of their members were trained in co-operative management;

(iii) sixty-four community agriculture workers were trained and provided with bicycles and equipment for extension services, land-measuring tapes, weighing scales and radios for farm forums;

(iv) two irrigation schemes were completed, one in Siavonga and another in Sinazongwe;

(v) nineteen irrigation team leaders trained;

(vi) two trucks and a tractor procured;

(vii) ten dams were planted with fingerlings in Sinazongwe;

(viii) thirty Boran bulls were distributed across the project area to improve the local breeds;

(ix) livestock drugs to treat 55,000 animals (cattle, chickens, goats) were distributed for treating various diseases;

(x) eleven veterinary camps provided with veterinary support equipment (eleven solar refrigerators, eleven motor bikes and veterinary kits)

(xi) twenty-two community livestock auxiliaries trained and provided with basic transport (bicycles); and

(xii) 600 treadle pumps distributed to communities across project area. One treadle pump to cater for three households.

Achievement of the Health Status Objective

(i) four new clinics were constructed and installed with solar panels. Twenty clinical staff houses were built with VIP toilets;

(ii) one clinic at Chabbobboma was rehabilitated;

(iii) one school (Nkandanzovu) was constructed including twelve staff houses were built with VIP toilets. Solar panels were also installed;

(iv) 102 members of the neighbourhood health committees were trained and provided with 102 bicycles; and

(v) 51,168 people sensitised on dangers and prevention of HIV/AIDS.

Programs such as the bottom road and other developments that were not completed have been included in the Fifth National Development Plan. As you may be aware, grading of the bottom road is an on going programme.

I thank you, Sir.

Mr Mooya: Mr Speaker, may I know the value of the projects he has tabulated?

Mr Sichilima: Mr Speaker, the value as estimated, if we give out the figure now we may mislead the nation because some of it was not completed due to change of time. This will keep on coming. Maybe for the benefit of the Members, and with your permission, I wish to lay the document on the Table so that Members of Parliament can explain to the members of the public.

Mr Sichilima laid the document on the Table.

Mr Muyanda (Sinazongwe): Mr Speaker, I thank you for allowing me to ask a very sincere and frank question. Why is the Hon. Deputy Minister of Energy and Water Development (Mr Sichilima) so strong in misleading the nation and this august House over projects which have not taken place in Gwembe, Sinazongwe and Siavonga?

Sir, you will recall …

Mr Speaker: Order! You have already asked your question. You asked why he is bent on misleading the nation. What other question do you want to ask?

Mr Muyanda: I thank you for your guidance. My second question is …

Laughter

Mr Muyanda: … why has the Minister certified that schools were electrified in the valley when this august House had a delegation to Southern Province, specifically Sinazongwe and we found nothing done by the Tonga/Gweembe Project? By then the Minister of Energy and Water Development was Hon. Mpombo. May the hon. Minister brief this august House on these two major points, please?

Mr Speaker: The hon. Minister of Energy and Water Development will not give a bonus answer. He will choose one of the two questions.

Laughter

Mr Sichilima: Mr Speaker, I will start by urging my colleagues that what we give out here is researched. Besides, the projects that we have mentioned here which have been completed are there for all to see. There is no time that the Government committed itself to electrifying each and every school in that area. Assisting people with seed was done only once because this is not an everyday thing. Mr Speaker, even when the people visited, they did not trace those who were assisted because it happened a year ago.

Mr Speaker, on the issue of the physical structures that are there, one problem that we have in that area is that even palaces, one chief decided to move out of the palace to settle in another area, but still wanted the Government to shift the electrification lines to where he is. I can only urge the hon. Member to educate our brothers and sisters that what was put there is for our good use, and these are things like clinics.

I thank you.

Mr Syakalima (Siavonga): Mr Speaker, in his submission, the Minister stated that the Bottom Road is an on-going project where they are grading. I would like to find out whether grading can be on-going when it has not yet started.

Mr Sichilima: Mr Speaker, it saddens me when leaders rise to mislead the nation. A gravel road …

Mr Speaker: Order! That word is unparliamentary.

Mr Sichilima: I withdraw that statement. Sir, in answering the question raised by my young brother from Siavonga, I would like to say that when a gravel road is graded this year, it does not mean that it will remain permanent. The terrain is rocky and mountainous and those factors cannot make a road all weather. Sir, in my reply, I said, three hundred and seventy three kilometres was graded by the on-going works. The plan is underway and this is mentioned in the Fifth National Development Plan and later even a better road might be designed for that area.

I thank you.

Mr Ntundu: Mr Speaker, in response to the answer given which is misleading to the nation, I would like to find out from the Minister whether he has been to Gweembe and he should also name this chief he is accusing of having wanted the palace to be put in another place. May he be specific?

Mr Sichilima: Mr Speaker, you will recall that this subject of Gweembe is a hot one because recently it was live on radio and one chief was there who talked what I am talking about.

Mr Speaker, I have been to Gweembe and in areas where the hon. Member has not been.

Laughter

Mr Sichilima: Mr Speaker, the projects that he is talking about are well known to me. Mr Speaker, the issue of the school which is said to have been deserted is there. I would like to appeal to hon. Members to go and educate our brothers to see that they go back to these services which have been put there permanently.

I thank you.

Mrs Musokotwane: Mr Speaker, I would like to find out from the Minister when the Bottom Road was last graded.

Mr Sichilima: Mr Speaker, the roads in general are planned …

Hon. UPND Members: Bottom Road.

Laughter

Mr Sichilima: … by the Government and this Bottom Road was worked on. On when it was graded, my colleagues in the Ministry of Works and Supply are on the ground and have the answer.

I thank you.

Mr Muntanga: Mr Speaker, I want to have serious answers from the Government. The question of the Gweembe/Tonga programme is a serious issue which is bent on reducing the suffering of the people in the Gweembe Valley after the construction of the hydro electric power station. Is this Government satisfied with what has been stated now as the correct things to reducing the sufferings of the people of Gweembe Valley and not even addressing the other areas that have been uncovered?

Mr Mutati: Mr Speaker, the issues of displacement are critical to the Government and we do know how much the people in that area have suffered. What we have attempted to do may not fully address what the people in the area have suffered including the Bottom Road.

You may be pleased to know that in the annual work plan for the Ministry of Works and Supply, we have provided K5 billion to begin work on the Bottom Road.

I thank you.

source: http://www.parliament.gov.zm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=462&Itemid=86&limit=1&limitstart=4
Pages: [1] Print 
mulonga.net forum  |  IT Centers  |  Sinazongwe.Online  |  Topic: ZAMBIAN PARLIAMENT DISCUSSING THE GWEMBE-TONGA DEVELOPMENT PROJECT « previous next »
Jump to: